Suffern Central School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher and principal data. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-d, the district wishes to inform the community of the following:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- Parents may access the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Student Data Elements List, a complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review online, and may also be obtained by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
- Parents have the right to file complaints about possible breaches of student data. Complaints should be directed to Suffern Central School District Superintendent, Dr. Douglas Adams, 45 Mountain Ave., Hillburn, NY 10931. Complaints to NYSED should be directed to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234; email address is CPO@mail.nysed.gov.
This bill of rights is subject to change based on regulations of the commissioner of education and the New York State Education Department chief privacy officer. Changes/additions are also anticipated as NYSED releases further guidance documents.
Click here to view NYSED’s Parents’ Bill of Rights.