Click here for a course catalog.
The goal of the Suffern High School Physical Education Department is to provide our students with learning experiences that foster life-long personal health and fitness. Participation in Physical Education is vital to the acquisition of skills and behaviors (physical and affective) needed to sustain an active, healthy and productive physical life.
All SHS Physical Education courses incorporate the New York State Health, Physical Education, and Home Economics Learning Standards that provide the major focus and direction for all our programs. These learning standards are:
Standard 1. Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain physical fitness, participate in physical activity and maintain personal health.
Standard 2. Students will acquire the knowledge and ability necessary to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment.
Standard 3. Students will understand and be able to manage their personal and community resources.
SCHOOL AND STATE PHYSICAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
All students must satisfactorily complete two credits of P/E to meet graduation requirements. Students must be enrolled in a full year Physical Education program starting in September and finishing in June. Students are expected and required to:
- be in attendance and participate in all required activities.
- be properly dressed for each class
- be responsible to make up classes when absences become excessive
- provide written notice when medical reasons prevent participation.
- parent or guardian’s excused absences are acceptable for up to three (3) consecutive days excuses beyond a three-day period require authorization from a doctor’s office, with the appropriate form completed and submitted to the Nurse’s office in a timely manner.
Students will be scheduled in semester Physical Education classes that meet on alternate days.