Welcome to the Suffern High School Nurses’ Office


    Contact us:

    Janet Winkelhoff  RN - jwinkelhoff@sufferncentral.org (845) 357-3800 ext.41325

    Julie Walters, RN - jwalters@sufferncentral.org (845) 357-3800 ext 41373

    Fax: 845-357-7684 

    When school is in session, office hours are from 7:15 am - 2:15 pm.  Please find information about fevers, when to keep a child home, health-related resources and more on the nurse's forms page linked below.  

    Link to the Nurses Forms page



    Emergency Cards

    It is extremely important to fill out and return the emergency card as soon as possible.  Accurate and current information will ensure your child’s safety.

    Our Student Emergency Contact Cards serve two purposes.  First, the school needs to know how to contact you during school hours in an emergency.  We also need to know the names and phone numbers of at least two other adults who can act as parent substitutes, and provide transportation and care for your child in case of serious injury or illness.

    Second, we will now use this card for the purpose of ensuring that your child is dismissed, for any reason, only to people you authorize.  Please list the names of all the people you authorize to pick up your child at school.

    Please be sure to sign the back of the card.

    Dental Certificates

    Dental Certificates are requested for grades: Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and new entrants. Please ask your Dentist to fill out the form and return it.


    In September 2016, a new vaccine law came into effect. All seniors are required to have a meningococcal vaccine at age 16 or older for school attendance. Please contact your healthcare provider to schedule an appointment to receive the vaccine before September. The Rockland County Health Department also offers the vaccine. They can be reached at 845-364-2520 to schedule an appointment.

    Medication In School

    Students are not allowed to carry any medication in school, including over-the-counter medication. If your physician directs that medication be administered to your child during the school day, he/she must provide written authorization. A special form is available in the nurses’ office or on the nurses’ web page. It must be completed and signed by the physician and the parent/guardian for this purpose. The medication must be brought to the nurse’s office by the parent/guardian in its original container, where it will be kept in a lock. Students may carry and self-administer inhalers/Epipens by obtaining and returning the proper consent form, available in the nurses’ office or web page. Medication orders must be renewed each school year.

    Routine Physicals

    Routine Physicals are required for grades: Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and new entrants. If proof of a private physical is not submitted to the health office by October 30th, your child will be scheduled for an exam with the School Medical Officer.

    *If your child has had a school physical for a sport in 7th grade, that exam will satisfy this requirement.


    The following procedure should be followed for all students who want to try out for a sport in high school or middle school.

    • A parent or legal guardian must complete and sign the online registration packet. The link can be found on the athletic home page.
    • Students must then have their blood pressure and pulse checked by the school nurse.
    • A physical exam is done by the school medical officer. The physical is valid for one year. If you do not want the school medical officer to perform the exam, you may submit a copy of a recent physical from your child’s healthcare provider. Your child will still see the school medical officer with all of his/her paperwork, but will not be examined. It is New York State Law that only a school-appointed medical officer certifies a child to participate in sports.
    • Middle school athletes trying out for a high school sport must have their parent/guardian indicate it in the online sport packet. Additional requirements include a signed parental permission form, a recent tanner rating (done by either private MD or school health care provider) and an agility test.

    If an athlete seeks medical attention during a sports season, a clearance note from their physician is required to return to sports.

    An athlete who sustains a concussion or head injury must provide a medical clearance note from his or her health care provider and then follow the “Return to Play Protocol” which includes final clearance by the school medical officer before returning to sports.

    Re-certification for an Additional Sports Season:

    Prior to each sports season, an athlete with a valid sports physical (occurring within 1 year) will need to re-certify using the online sports program. Athletes may not re-certify more than 30 days before a sports season begins.


    Scoliosis Screening

    Scoliosis screening is required for the following: girls in grades 5 and 7 only and boys in grade 9.   If you do not want your child screened in school, a doctor’s note stating the date of the exam and the results will satisfy this requirement. You will be notified if your child needs to follow up with your physician. Please submit this information by December 1st to the nurse.

    9th Grade Scoliosis screenings will be conducted during physical education classes.

    Vision and Hearing Screening

    Near and Far Vision Screening is required for the following grades:  PreKindergarten or Kindergarten, 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, and new entrants, which includes near and far vision. New entrants also require color screening in addition to the above.

    You will be notified if your child does not meet the state requirements for vision or hearing.

    Working Papers

    The student obtains the working paper forms from the guidance office or may download the application from the website and bring it to the nurse. If the student has submitted a private physical or had a school physical within the past year, the nurse will complete the medical section of the form. If the student has not had a recent physical, they may have their private physician complete the form.

    The student needs to have his/her parent/guardian sign the form and provide any supplemental documentation requested and bring the form to the guidance department which will then issue the working papers.